i'm a white writer. in new york. original, no? i've been blogging since october 2002. this blog picks up in october 2008, when i moved from DC to NY...(and then I moved to Maine in 2012)

Friday, October 23, 2009

Crumbs from the Table of Twitter

Hello, dear blog.

I spend all my social media energy on The Twitter. For those of you who are not on The Twitter (all two of you), I wanted to let you know what's going on and what you can look forward to here on this blog.

I've just rounded out my first full year in NYC, and I also just moved into my third apartment in Manhattan. (Because apparently that's what you do when you move to New York, you move again. And again. And again.)

Now I'm in a two-year lease in a beautiful studio on the Upper East Side. I have a view of trees in a courtyard, and enough closet space, and hardwood floors, and a giant tub. There's no stove, but I don't cook much anyways.

My last apartment was a nightmare--the ceiling collapsed, there were 16 or so leaks in the kitchen over the course of 8 months, I could hear a child crying for hours on end (yes, I called Child Services because I had a bad feeling in my gut), I heard horrible fights in the hallways, one of my neighbors' apartments was broken into, a cop killed someone on our block, there was a serial rapist for a while (ok that was 15 blocks away, but still), and dog doo on the sidewalk.

I tried politely to get out of the last month of my lease, considering all the leaks, mold and ceiling problems, but my old landlord wouldn't budge. Until I lawyered up, that is. Then they said sure, I could break the lease and still get my deposit back, IF I signed something that I would never sue them for anything. No problem. That's all I wanted in the first place.

So I took my returned deposit and bought a Burberry handbag at a 30% off sale. It's my first purse ever that costs more than $25, and it's kind of awesome.

Anyway, for $300 more a month, now I'm in a neighborhood where the women plastinate their faces, eat styrofoam because it's calorie-free and filling, and shop for $1,500 handbags.

You might think from the above paragraphs that I'm not fitting in here in NYC, but it's actually the first time as an adult that I've felt like I'm living where I belong. See, everything's extreme here--you have the best of everything and the worst of everything all jammed up together. So I'm blending in.

Today is my last full-time day at NBC. Starting Monday, I'll be working 20 hours a week. They were kind enough to give me a 40% raise--I won't be earning as much as before, but I'm pretty sure I'll be okay, especially since all the shopgirls in the Upper East Side boutiques are so snobby that I'm not even tempted to spend my money there.

The big change will be that I will now have time to dedicate to my writing. I feel like I'm in a great position now where I'm happy in my home, I'll be earning enough to get by (and that's all you really need, is enough), and I'll have precious time to write.

I've been meeting people all along this year, but now I'm actually starting to have conversations that are more focused on finding where my writing might make sense in terms of plays and blogging and maybe this memoir idea. I also want to try fiction and start doing some short video projects. So it's really a great thing that my hours will shift and I'll be able to devote concentrated time to fleshing these projects out.

Thanks to all of you who have been reading my This Is Not a Memoir posts. It's been a few weeks since I've posted to that thread, but rest assured, more is coming! I have sort of an endless amount to write. I'm really enjoying writing the posts, and it means so much to hear that they resonate with you guys. Thanks for the support on that.

Some of you may know that I've been giving talks and interviews about the arts and social media--I think most of them are on my home page if you're interested. I did one just the other day about how to find your artistic voice through blogging, and I'll post it as soon as I have a link.

Anyway, thanks for checking in.

8 comments:

WryAndGinger said...

your purse is just lovely. Your stove-less kitchen freaks me out a little, but I understand you fancy big city types eat out a lot.
So happy you are happy in your new place (even though this was pre-flood....the flood was just to test your resolve)

derora noo said...

Thanks, Cheryl! I am very happy. That flood thing was freaky--water follows me everywhere. There's definitely a metaphor there.

:-)

paperboxes said...

Hey there- I am just catching up to your blog after jumping over from RM and I HAD to comment on this post. My baby sister (not really a baby) lives in NYC and works for the city med. examiner as a criminalist. She totally helped SOLVE that serial rapist case! Okay so that is random to comment on as a "hi-love your work" but I rarely get to be publicly proud of her creepy work stuff like that. Anyway- I'd love to write you more later so I'll comment at RM and come back here more. You are very good and I am envious of your purse. Best- Miriam

derora noo said...

Hi Miriam! That's so awesome! I'm so impressed by your sister's work. Thanks for telling me about it. You must be so proud!

And thanks for reading my work and liking it! I have a lot of fun writing these pieces, strange as that may sound. Because I sort of made it to the other side, I can look back on these things and now write about them in a way that is helpful to me and hopefully others. :-)

derora noo said...

Hey, are you the Miriam that wrote Words to Face the Day? Loved that piece.

paperboxes said...

Hiya- Thanks! I am "that" Miriam although I don't know how I feel about that... :) It's a lot to put out and own as you well know. I am glad you liked the piece. It was an important one for me and even though I wasn't entirely pleased with it in the end (is one ever?) I was done with it for the moment. I could write for hours in response to your bean sandwich piece. HOURS! Have you ever had Hash Pie? With ketchup? Not hash as in the illicit substance but the oogy stuff that comes in a paper-wrapped can. I'll give you the recipe if you want... ;} Thanks for making me smile today- my post that goes up manana promises a smile next week so this is a pleasant surprise. Be well as only bean-sandwich-eaters and those looking forwards and backwards at the same time can be. Best-Miriam

derora noo said...

I just commented on your post on RealMental. So much more to express, but I can't find words, and know if I try, I will fail.

I have not had hash pie! Is it a potatoey thing?

My posts for RealMental are so looooong! And even inside of them are so many stories! I like the work it takes to write a long post and keep the story on track--I'm always suspicious when I find myself reducing these big issues to compact anecdotes. I want to explore the messy stuff even more.

Be well.

WryAndGinger said...

clearly I need you both to update this 'hash pie' issue. I feel it may go well with bean sandwiches and I need a recipe.