i'm a white writer. in new york. original, no? i've been blogging since october 2002. this blog picks up in october 2008, when i moved from DC to NY...(and then I moved to Maine in 2012)

Monday, March 1, 2010

Dear Co-Workers: This Is My Blog.

It's for my personal writing.

It's not anonymous, but I don't sign my real name to it, because I want my professional writing--plays, articles--to come up first in a Google search for my name.

I don't mind sharing the personal stuff at all--it's actually very important to me--but when it comes to clients or employers checking me out, I want to provide a little context.

The reason it's important for me to share my personal writing is because I had Major Depressive Disorder for decades, and it was undiagnosed until January 2007, when I got some support and figured things out. Now that my world is right-side out, it's easier for me to write about it because I see things so much more clearly, and it's VERY important for me to share my experience with other people who might be looking online for stories that might illuminate whatever they might be struggling with.

Because that's a big part of how I figured out how to make things right for myself.

I've been so amazed by the kindness and generosity of people I've never met in real life, but who are literally some of the most important people in my life. When I was fighting my hardest, I would turn to my blog and use it to try to sort things out, and my blog readers and commenters helped me see other ways of looking at things. Sometimes they just listened or empathized. Their compassion astounded me.

And so it's important for me to give back by sharing my stories, which I hope are sometimes interesting, or maybe even helpful to people here and there.

It bugs me when I see articles that talk about how technology is "destroying" communities. There are so many people in the world who, for whatever reason, have limited access to healthy families or relationships, and who are searching for connection that could quite literally change or even save their lives.

Anyway, the irony is, it's much harder these days for me to find the time to write these personal posts, largely because I'm so much healthier. I moved to NYC at the end of 2008, and my world has opened up with so many great people and wonderful opportunities, that I'm living life more in 3-D now, than online. I've been writing monthly posts for RealMental for a while, but even that feels like it might be tapering off. The cool thing about blogging is, it's very fluid and I can pick it back up when I have something to share.

But I do tweet a lot, if you're interested.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

WryAndGinger said...

Mass mingling! In Halifax, twitter is responsible for an awful lot of real world socializing. In the past 7 days I have been to 3 different get together with people I did not know before twitter - and skipped a few others. We have a really active and friendly community here that shows what a great tool for the real world it can be. (Plus there are some pretty nice blogs to read round the internet ;)

derora noo said...

I love how I've met the best people through Twitter. I'd love to come up and visit your neck of the woods some day!

These darn Olympics are getting in the way of me getting my blog on lately.